I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why We Vote

Jason and I, along with our children, went to vote as a family first thing this morning. When we got there, we had to wait in line for a few minutes. Both kids noted that there was a line today. You see, we always take them with us when we vote... and usually we can get in and get out with no waiting. We explained that there are always bigger crowds during presidential elections, and that this election is particularly important because so many Biblical values are being challenged. They know the issues, because we discuss them openly at our house.

We checked in, and waited. As the line was moving along, we noticed that some people voting needed more instruction than others. When we arrived at the front of the line, the supervisor greeted us. She recognized us... because we always vote, and the kids are always with us. She loves that we bring our kids, and always makes a point to tell the kids how important it is to vote. Then she told us that they have a lot of first time voters, and so it was taking a little longer than usual to explain how to use the electronic ballots.

This saddened me. Why? Because the ones needing the instruction were all older. These are the people that should have been voting for years... they are the ones that should have been setting the example for others. They should have been training up their children... yet they weren't.

I am not sure what their reasons were for not voting... or even what their reason is for voting now. But here is the reason Jason and I vote...

We want our children to know the importance and the privilege of voting. We want our kids to understand how our country was formed. We want them to understand how many men and women have died, and continue to die, so that we may live in a free country. We want them to understand how God blesses our country, and that He will only continue to do so if we recognize Him. We want them to understand the need to vote Biblical Values. We want our children to know that they live in the greatest country in the world!

Our children and their future is why we vote.

Matthew 6:33 (NKJV)
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

3 comments:

  1. I was raised in a family where voting wasn't important. My parents still don't vote to this day because "their votes don't matter". As an adult (27), I myself struggle to understand how my vote could matter or change anything if my parents thought/think their vote didn't/doesn't matter. I have never voted and really thought that this year wouldn't matter if I voted or not. As the election grew nearer and we started actually watching the debates (the first time ever in my life have I watched a debate!) and reading up on things, I regretted that I had not registered to vote and that I would miss out on this opportunity to do so this year. It made me sad that I was raised thinking it didn't matter and that i have spent the last 7 years passing those same thoughts and opinions on to my son. Last night, my husband and I both vowed that this would be the last time we pass up on an election without voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this. I know there are many who believe this way, including some in my own family. I am glad that your family decided to vote in the future. Bless you.

      Delete