I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

God Reminded Me

Last year I heard the song "Remind Me" by Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood.  It is about a married couple who have become passive in their relationship.  There were a couple of lines that really struck a chord with me...
1) "Now we keep saying that we're ok, but I don't want to settle for good not great. I miss the way the way that it felt back then.  I want to feel that way again."

2) "Do you remember how it used to be?  We'd turn out the lights and we wouldn't just sleep."
Ouch!  That is exactly where Jason and I had gotten... and it was mostly my fault.  Often at the end of the day... after being mom, teacher, housekeeper, cook, etc, etc, etc... I didn't have much left to be wife.   I no longer acted like the girl he married ... truthfully, I didn't even resemble her.  

In the song, the couple is asking each other to "Remind me."  I asked God to remind me.  I wanted to be reminded of the excitement I felt when I saw Jason.  I wanted to feel that tingle when he would touch my arm... even accidentally.  I asked God to remind me how I used to respond to Jason.  I wanted to remember how to flirt with him.  And I didn't want to just fall into bed and fall asleep.


After some prayer, God led me to read Song of Solomon.  Truthfully, this is a book in the Bible I had never put much time into... but as I began reading, a verse immediately jumped out at me...

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth - For your love is better than wine. 
Song of Solomon 1:2


That is what I used to feel, and I wanted that again! God is faithful, He helped me to remember... and He gave me the courage to apologize to Jason for my lack of effort in our relationship.  Now, I can say that Jason and I are back on track... Our marriage is no longer just good... it is great.  I love flirting with him.  I love dressing to please him.  I love putting the kids to bed early so I can have a "date night" on the couch with my man.  

God reminded me of the passion I feel for Jason... and it is a good thing.  I pray that I never forget or become weary of being his wife again.

This is a very personal blog... so much so, I have put off posting it for a while now.  However, I see more and more families separating and even divorcing because of issues like the one I just shared.  Wives if we don't take the time to love and care for our man ... someone else will.  Not all men will fall into this temptation, but do we really want to leave him open to it?  

If you are struggling with this area, ask God to remind you.  Then work to re-ignite that fire in your marriage.

2 comments: