I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Where's the Evidence?

Erin and I were out running errands the other evening, and listening to American Family Radio. They played a clip from a politician that was making claims about something that even Erin (age 6) recognized as ridiculous. After the clip, Erin said, "How can she say that without evidence?" I was very impressed with her question, and after some discussion, I told her that I was proud she recognized the need for evidence. It was at that point that she said, "I learned it from Looney Toons." I couldn't help but laugh!

Yes, this story had a funny ending, but it also made me stop and think. How often do we jump on a bandwagon because it sounds like a good thing? How often do we repeat "facts" without really checking them, just because they sound reasonable? How often do we let our emotions dictate what our mouth says, without consulting the evidence?

When we speak without evidence, we are like fools. The Bible has a few things to say about fools. Here are just a few:

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7

Whoever hides hatred has lying lips,
And whoever spreads slander is a fool. Proverbs 10:18

The lips of the righteous feed many,
But fools die for lack of wisdom. Proverbs 10:21

Every prudent man acts with knowledge,
But a fool lays open his folly. Probers 13:16

A wise man fears and departs from evil,
But a fool rages and is self-confident. Proverbs 14:16

Wisdom rests in the heart of him who has understanding,
But what is in the heart of fools is made known. Proverbs 14:33

The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly,
But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness. Proverbs 15:2

A fool has no delight in understanding,
But in expressing his own heart. Proverbs 18:2

A fool’s lips enter into contention,
And his mouth calls for blows. Proverbs 18:6

It is better to be cautious and investigate what is being said, than to quickly jump into something that will make us look foolish. Here is a good verse to remember before we entertain a thought or speak, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment