I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sin is Pleasurable for a Season

A couple of months ago, Jason, Ethan, and I saw a friend who was going through a divorce, and living with another woman he was engaged to. He spoke of it with everyone openly, and generally seemed in a great mood. While driving home that evening, Jason and I were discussing this man, and his situation. I commented on how saddened I was, and how disappointed I was in this man. Jason agreed, but commented that he had never seen this man so happy. It was at that point that Ethan chimed in. He quoted something he has heard our pastor, Jeff Schreve, say many times. Ethan said, "Sin is pleasurable for a while." What a true statement. If sin wasn't pleasurable, we would never be tempted by sin. That is how Satan works. He knows what areas we struggle with, and he will tempt us with what attracts us. This is nothing new. It goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden. When Satan tempted Eve with the fruit, she "saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise." (Gen. 3:6) It was pleasurable, however there were consequences. The same is true today. We may enjoy sin for a while. We may even think we have "gotten away with something." However, there are always consequences. When we live outside of the will of God for our lives, we will not have the peace that comes only from Him. When we live with sin in our lives, we place a barrier between ourselves and God. It is a barrier of our own making, and God is right there waiting on us to repent of our sin and turn to Him. I think of the woman caught in the act of adultery. After all her accusers walked away because none was without sin, Jesus had this conversation with the woman:
When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” John 8:10-11 (NKJV)
Jesus didn't condemn, He told her to "go and sin no more." So how exactly can we do that? We need to keep our eyes focused on God. Seek His Face. Seek His Word. Seek His heart. I wish I could tell you it is easy... it is not. Satan does not play fair. But, and this is a big BUT, we have a champion on our side. That champion has already defeated Satan! Pour your heart out to God, and trust Him. I want to leave you with a section of Psalm 51. A psalm of David, and a prayer for repentance.
Psalm 51:12-17 (NKJV) 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You. 14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, The God of my salvation, And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, And my mouth shall show forth Your praise. 16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart— These, O God, You will not despise.

2 comments:

  1. Great example! It's amazing how we are inundated with adultery so often it has become the norm and most of us are not shocked or even put off by it like we should be. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy how I stumbled across your blog through lookin up a scripture but your words were just the encouragement I needed to hear tonight. I have been in a similar situation and I can attest to everything you said. The Lord has even given me that scripture from psalms 51 to get me through this touch time.
    Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete