I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

As a child, learning the Easter story, I often wondered why we called the Friday before "Easter Good Friday." After all, what is good about Jesus being beat, mocked, spit on, and crucified. That sounds like a bad day to me, not a good one. As an adult, I can now imagine what the followers of Jesus must have been feeling... definitely not a good day. Somewhere in time, I just came to accept the term, and didn't think much more of it.

That is until this week. Erin asked the very same question... "Why is it called Good Friday? It was a bad day for Jesus." Before I could answer, Ethan responded with this, "It is called Good because everyday before that was bad." I thought that an odd answer. So I asked him to explain.

Here is how he explained it to both Erin and me. "Before Jesus died for all of us, people were separated from God. That was bad. Jesus created a bridge for all of us to God. That is what makes it good." To which Erin respond, "So, by Jesus having a bad day, we have a good one."

As we celebrate this weekend with family and friends, take some time to remember exactly why we can celebrate ... because God sacrificed His son, Jesus Christ, we are no longer separated from our Heavenly Father.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 comment:

  1. Kerry, our morning devotional today was on this very topic and was entitled "Good Friday." As husband and I sat down to read, he asked me, "Why do we call it Good Friday? Doesn't seem like a great day to me?" So, I think we all question the goodness of a day so awful in the life of Jesus, ultimately the end of his life. And yes, dear Ethan, you've got it just right! Out of the mouths of babes!

    ReplyDelete