I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dig a Little Deeper in the Well

For a while now, I have been studying Biblical Womanhood. I have read, re-read, discussed with my husband, looked up commentaries, discussed with other women (not always a good idea by the way), discussed with preachers, and prayed... prayed ... prayed over passages of scripture like:
1 Timothy 2:9-15 (NKJV) 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.
There are all sorts of explanations, translations, and justifications about this particular passage. As I was reading it one day, I came to this conclusion... The Bible means exactly what the Bible says. If I can justify this passage to fit my desire, why can't other people justify other parts of the Bible to fit their desires... Oh, wait... that goes on all the time... However, that doesn't make it right. The Bible is the inspired word of God.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV) 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
There used to be a saying, "God said it, I believe it, that settles it." Well the truth is, God said it... That settles it... whether I believe it or not. One day while on Facebook, I came across a quote from John Piper from the book Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. I decided I wanted to read that book, and I knew I would probably want to make notes in it, so I went to Amazon to order it. As I was checking out, it suggested another book, Women in the Church. I thought it looked good also, so I ordered both... and anxiously awaited their arrival. After receiving them, I could tell that I was going in deep with these two books... I am pretty sure they are WAY over my pay grade!
So after thumbing through them, I posted this picture on Facebook and asked if anyone had read them. The responses I received were that they were deep, but good stuff, and that I would need a snorkel. Yea, full out scuba gear is more like it. I have read about halfway through Women in the Church. As I read, I keep my dictionary app, Bible app, and google close by. (Don't you just love modern technology!) And of course, my own Bible is at arm's reach.... it is indeed some DEEP information... but it is GOOD information. This evening, I decided I had a few minutes to read, but instead thought,"Do I really want to dig that deep tonight?" No sooner than I thought that, an old song from my childhood popped into my head... and I even heard the voices of the Oak Ridge Boys as they sang, "Dig a Little Deeper in the Well boy, dig a little deeper in the well. If you want a good cool drink of water, you've got to dig a little deeper in the well." I do indeed want a good cool drink of water... I don't want the muddy water that deceives... I want that living water that only comes from God. So, as soon as I am off of here, I am going to Dig a Little Deeper in the Well, and I challenge you to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's the things in the Bible we don't like that challenge us to be better. It's not popular for women to admit a man should have authority over them in this age, but it is STILL true. Not ALL men, just the one God has given you. And I definitely agree, asking other women is not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete