I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Friday, March 30, 2012

How to be Counter-Cultural

Yesterday, the kids and I had the opportunity to attend a Pastors and Missionary Conference here in Texarkana. We really enjoyed it. I sat in on a Women's Workshop conducted by Alison Crane. In one of her points, she quoted Nancy Leigh DeMoss as saying, "Christians should be counter-cultural." Then Alison described what culture looks like today by reading 2 Timothy 3:1-7

2 Timothy 3 (NKJV)
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

So, if this is what culture is, and we should be counter-cultural, what should we as Christians be? Here is a list based on the passage from 2 Timothy 3

The way culture lives:
lovers for self
lovers of money
boasters, proud
blasphemers
disobedient
unthankful
unholy
unloving
unforgiving
slanderers
without self-control
brutal
despisers of good
traitors
headstrong
haughty
lovers of pleasure

The Way Christians should live:
lovers of others
content
humble
pious
obedient
thankful
holy
loving
forgiving
complimenters
self-controlled
kind
doers of good
loyal
submissive
meek
lovers of God

As I look through this list, I have to stop and ask myself, Am I living counter-cultural? Yesterday's lesson has made me think... hope it does the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment