I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Speak the Truth in Love but Don't Apologize

I have been preparing for a Bible study that I teach on Wednesday nights. As I was thinking through what I am sharing, God laid something on my heart. After praying about this information, I began thinking about how to present it. Each time I would start with something like, "I don't want to offend, but..." Before I would get much further, I would feel something was wrong. So I prayed and studied scripture. I thought maybe I had misunderstood what God wanted me to share. However, the more I studied, the more I knew God wanted this truth spoke. So again I tried to think through how to present this, and again I started with an apology before sharing the truth. God finally got clear with me (As He has to do quite often)... He told me to "Speak the Truth in love, but DON'T apologize."

In today's society, we are so concerned about offending people, hurting their feelings, or making them mad, that we tip-toe around the truth. We apologize and back track. Or worse yet, we don't say anything at all. That is not what God wants. When we see someone doing something they shouldn't, it is our job to restore them.

That does not mean we are to be harsh and hateful. Just the opposite, we are to speak the truth in love. After we share the truth, the other person may still get mad, hurt or offended. If that is the case, all you can do then is walk away and pray for them. It is better to offend them, then to allow them to keep going down the wrong path because you are afraid of the consequences.

Rather, let our lives lovingly express truth [in all things, speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly]. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him Who is the Head, [even] Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). Ephesians 4:15 (Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment