I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Being 'Momish'

This week Ethan had tryouts for an Elite Golf Team. Being used to following Ethan as he plays in tournaments, I made arrangements to follow him as he played. When we arrived the first morning, I quickly realized that I was the only parent that would be in attendance. I had Erin with me, so I made a point of following at a distance. Close enough that I could see, but far enough back that we would not be a disturbance. In between holes, Ethan would come to our cart to get a drink of water, and of course a little encouragement and/or praise. As the boys were finishing up their round, I asked Ethan if he wanted me to follow again tomorrow since I was the only parent there. He quickly said, "yes, you didn't act 'momish' today."

I know that he meant it as a good thing, and I understood what he was saying. As I thought about his choice of words, it really made me consider how different people raise children. At this point in the lives of our children, it is very important that we be their parents, not their friends. It is good for us to have fun, let them know that we are involved, and enjoy being with each other. It is even more important that they know we are in charge. We are the parents. When they have grown, if we have raised them well, then they will also be our friends. I am standing on God's promise, "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:1-4

1 comment:

  1. I understand. Beth Ann was shocked when I told her I was going to her first middle school dance with her. I was surpirsed(happily) at all the other parents that sat in the bleachers. Some evenwalked around on the dance floor with video cameras embrassing the whole thing! There was one girl in skin tight leopard pink tights and a TIGHT black top with no parents. I felt sorry for her as she had on full make up and no supervision. I'm happy to hover when I need to and thrilled to see many dads just "canvasiing" the area as needed. A good group of kids but I know mine still needs my guidance. More of us do. AlwAys inspired by what you write.

    ReplyDelete