I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Check Your Tone

As a mother of two, and owner of a small in-home preschool, I know what a valuable commodity quiet is. So this evening, when the guys were at the golf course, I allowed Erin to watch a movie on the portable DVD player in her room. Thus assuring I would have a few minutes that I could just sit and have quiet... or so I thought.

Normally, Erin loves the treat of watching a movie in her room, not this evening. She kept coming in and out asking questions and needing stuff. After about the sixth time, when she called my name I responded with a very exaggerated/exasperated WHAT? She stopped immediately and said, "Don't you love me anymore?" Wow! Just one word, and the way it was expressed, made her question my feelings for her. I apologized for my reaction and assured her that nothing could make me quit loving her. She is 4 and she rebounds quickly, so after a hug and a smile all was well.

Have you checked your tone? With family? With friends? With strangers? As Christians, we are supposed to be a light for others that they may see Jesus in us. We are supposed to be different than the world, and others should want what we have. If our tone is not right, our light is dim. If we respond like the world, why would anyone want what we have... we look just like they do.

I am reminded of Jesus' earthly ministry. He got tired, hungry, and wanted some time to Himself just like we do. Yet, when he would be interrupted He never responded with a "WHAT?" No, He responded with love. We also should respond in love so that others will see the love of God in us.

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another John 13:35

No comments:

Post a Comment