I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Comparing Two Women

As many of you know, I have been studying the Proverbs 31 Woman for years. It is my desire to be a Proverbs 31 woman... some days I am closer than others, but I am definitely still a work in progress. Recently a verse concerning another woman caught my attention...

Proverbs 7:11 (NKJV)
She was loud and rebellious, Her feet would not stay at home.

This verse has really stuck with me. I immediately thought this is the me that I struggle against ... Naturally, I am loud and rebellious. However, God has been working on me to be gentle and quiet.

1 Peter 3:4 (NKJV)
rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

Since it is my desire is to be the Proverbs 31 Woman, and I have some characteristics (loud and rebellious) of the Proverbs 7 Woman, I decided to do a comparison of the two.

Here is the list of what I have found:
Proverbs 7 Woman
Dressed like a harlot
Proverbs 31 Woman
Dressed in fine linen & purple

Proverbs 7 Woman
Had a crafty heart
Proverbs 31 Woman
A woman who fears the Lord

Proverbs 7 Woman
Loud and rebellious
Proverbs 31 Woman
strength and honor

Proverbs 7 Woman
Away from home
Proverbs 31 Woman
Wakes early and stays up late watching over her household

Proverbs 7 Woman
Has peace offerings and pays vows
Proverbs 31 Woman
Extends her hand to the poor, and reaches her hand to the needy

Proverbs 7 Woman
Seeking men (not her husband)
Proverbs 31 Woman
Does her husband good, not evil
The heart of her husband safely trusts her

Proverbs 7 Woman
Colored covering of Egyptian linen
(Egypt represents bondage)
Proverbs 31 Woman
Her household is clothed in scarlet
(scarlet represents salvation)

Proverbs 7 Woman
enticing speech and flattering lips
Proverbs 31 Woman
Opens her mouth with wisdom and the law of kindness is on her tongue

The Proverbs 7 Woman is a Woman living outside of God's plan for her. The Proverbs 31 Woman is living God's plan. As Women, we are designed to be a helpmeet to our husbands. We are to be busy watching over the affairs of our households. When we eat the bread of idleness, and wander from our households, we fall prey to the bondage of sin.

I encourage you to read the account of these two women. In case you missed it, they are found in Proverbs 7 and Proverbs 31.

7 comments:

  1. Kerry, this is a wonderful contrast of the woman God wants us to be, intends for us to be, and that we should strive to be vs a woman that has allowed the world to dictate her ways. I love the Woman of Proverbs 31 and, like you, strive to be that woman. By staying in The Word, attending worship services regularly in a church where God shows up at each service and also practicing those things we learn from God's Word, we can hope to become like that woman of Proverbs 31. Thanks for a great reminder and God bless your every endeavor. I am so glad to have met you recently on fb and hope to meet you in person one of these days. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog. I look forward to meeting you in person.

      Delete
  2. This is very good. I stopped over from EOA LInk-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by, and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an awesome perspective. I am not a wife yet, but I do strive to become a Proverbs 31 woman. This was excellent. Thank you for sharing! ~Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a striking comparison! thank you for sharing your study of these 2 types of women.
    visiting via the hearts4home linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting comparison and a great topic to study! Your list makes me think of where I fit myself...
    Visiting from Hearts 4 Home today :)

    ReplyDelete