I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Friday, September 23, 2011

What are we Teaching our Daughters?

A few weeks ago, I was preparing supper for friends. As I was peeling potatoes, I thought of something my mama told me when I was young. "You always peel one potato for each person eating, and one for the pot." Now I have no idea why the pot needs a potato, but to this day I always add an extra one. By the way, I usually have plenty of potatoes and very few leftovers... there must be some logic to that hungry pot after all.

Now I realize that this is just a silly helpful hint, but it made consider something else. I use many tips and tidbits that I learned, from my mama and other women, while growing up. Some are important, some I need to lose, and some are just funny memories that make me smile. As I pondered this, I thought what am I passing on to my daughter? Then I thought, what should I be teaching my daughter?

The Bible gives a very clear outline of what older women are to teach younger women in Titus 2:3-5

the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

It tells us to admonish... so what does that mean? Here is the definition:
Admonish
1 a: to indicate duties or obligations to
b: to express warning or disapproval to especially in a gentle, earnest, or solicitous manner
2: to give friendly earnest advice or encouragement to


Now, in case you missed it in the verses above, here are the 7 things older women should admonish young women to do...

1.Love their husband.
2.Love their children.
3.Be discreet.
4.Be chaste.
5.Be homemakers.
6.Be good.
7.Be obedient to their own husband.

So, I leave you with this question... Is this what we are teaching?



No comments:

Post a Comment