I am no longer the things of my past...I am the daughter of the Great I AM.

Exodus 3:14
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
2 Corithians 6:18
I will be a Father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rotten Meat

The first summer after I graduated high school, I worked as a checker at a grocery store. A common occurrence while working there was to see customers walking in carrying a bag at arms length. Inevitably, they would walk up to the first available employee and ask them to smell what was in the bag. It was always meat that had been purchased recently, but was bad. Not just bad, it was rotten. The smell that came from that bag reeked! Do you have a vision of this? Can you imagine the offensive odor?

As you think of this, read the following verse:
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones. Proverbs 12:4 (NKJV)

As I read this verse recently, I immediately thought of that rotten meat from years ago. I also realized that in my seventeen years of marriage I have often missed the mark as the crown to my husband. Instead, I have been the rottenness... I have been like that decaying, stinking, foul meat to my husband.

God designed me to be a helper to my husband. My job is to encourage, advise, work with, serve (yes, ladies, I used that word), build up and bring glory to my husband. When I spend time nagging, whining, demanding, or any other selfish term you can think of, I am not being the crown.

It is my desire to be all that God designed me to be... It is my desire to be the crown of my husband.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kerry, a mutual friend, Penny L .. told me about you and how you enjoyed my photography and she told me about the "rotten meat"...so I thought let us go check out this lady ..enjoyed your post on rotten meat....isn't it the most wonderful experience to meet another sister in Christ in BlogWorld....sister hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Proverbs! Especially while striving to be my husband's crown. Thanks for this post and all your posts. I can't comment every time, but know that I read them! Love you sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete